Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Mamacat and Kitten need home

I have several times before mentioned the Lady that runs a local trap-neuter-return program and who is helping we out with trapping the rest of Dobby's family and getting them all sterilized (at no cost to me). You can read more about the wonderful work she does here.

I received the following e-mail from her today.

I have been fostering two cats since late August. The mother cat was trapped on campus by Facility Services with her three kittens. They had obviously been dumped. I couldn't find a foster home so I took them. I had the mama tested for leukemia and aids and she was negative so I did not test the kittens.

I adopted out all three of the kittens but the home for Benjy did not work out. I retrieved him five days after he was adopted and he was well on the way to becoming a feral kitten. He calmed down as soon as he returned to my house.

The mother cat was spayed the day all three kittens were adopted, which was a Monday. I brought her home on a Wednesday and she did not eat or drink or use the litterbox until I brought Benjy home on Friday. She was that upset that the kittens were gone. When I brought Benjy back, she jumped down from her hiding place and ate and drank within five minutes of his reappearance. If I had not retrieved him, I think she would have died. A few weeks later, I discovered she had been declawed. Some idiot decided the claws could go but didn't bother to fix her.

Well, after the trauma of all that and the many tears that I shed, I decided to let them calm down and didn't try to adopt them to anyone. I thought they both needed a break. I have now fallen in love with them but it is impossible for me to keep them. I have four inside cats that are between 14 and 17 years old and their adjustment to two new young cats would be too difficult. I am heartbroken that I can't keep them but they deserve a house to run around in and not just a room. I cry every time I think about giving them away but it is the right thing to do for them.

The mother cat is probably 1.5 years old. Benjy is about 7-8 months old. They are totally bonded and must go together. They play like kittens and they play hard.

Benjy is a born acrobat and he loves to fetch. His favorite toy is twist ties tied in a strand and then thrown somewhere. He will then chase them down and bring them to me. He also can catch them the way a dog catches a frisbee in mid-air. Mama Cat just watches and thinks he is nuts.

I believe the mother cat was abused. She does not seem to need petting. She is very verbal and I can pick her up and love her but she doesn't seem to demand it. After all this time, she has just started to jump into my lap. Benjy, being the bossy little thing that he is, jumps up immediately and Mama Cat leaves in a huff.

Benjy is completely bonded to me and I can hug and kiss him and rub his belly. I am going to need a wonderfully patient and kind-hearted cat lover who will win Benjy over. I know it can be done and I will make regular visits to the person's house to help make the transition happen if the new family/person will let me.

If you hear of anyone that is looking for two wonderful pets please let me know. All of their gear is going with them...litter boxes, scratching posts, bowls, chow, toys, etc. I want the transition to be as easy on them as possible.

Thanks for reading this really long email. I needed to let you all know the whole story.

Mamacat
Benjy
Mom and son

I know we are all just about filled up on our kitty quota. I myself am still looking for a home for Madness. But I would really like to help this lady out. She is doing such great work around our campus and she has helped me out so much with my "little project". We are in Baton Rouge, Louisiana but I'm pretty sure transport can be arranged if we can find a good home for these kitties.

15 comments:

Daisy said...

They are very beautiful! I really hope Benjy and his Mommie can find a good forever home.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I feel exactly as Daisy does...both look absolutely stunning. I am sure they will melt someone heart. Just wish she could keep them herself, she sounds like she loves both cats.

Abby

Gemini said...

Momma wishes she could help more. They are lovely cats.

Victor Tabbycat said...

Poor fings need a furefur home. Momma is bootiful an Benjy's cute. But no room in our howse.

Hot(M)BC said...

Oh we hopes they finds a furever home soon!

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Meowm and I will purray that they find a good home soon!

LZ said...

I wish we could help as they seem like such wonderful kitties. I hope they find a home soon.

Latte

Emma's Kat said...

What a beautiful momma kitty and an adorably sweet little boy kitty! I sure hope they find their furrever home together soon!

caspersmom said...

Momma and Benjy look so cute together. I'm sure they will find a forever home soon. Sure wish people would find it in their hearts to have their cats and dogs fixed. It sure would make it a lot easier. So many cats and kitties wanting forever homes. It really makes my heart sad.

Rosie & Cheeto said...

Yer lady is sooo grate! If owr lady didn't live in a super tiny apartment and she didn't have bad allurgies (she's having trubble with us two arownd but she luvs us to much to let it bothur hur) than we wuld give Momma, Benjy and Madness a home rite now! Yer lady is a wondurful, wondurful purson!

Rascal said...

I hope all these lovely Cats get good homes soon. Everykitty deserves a good forever home.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

They are two lovely kitties, and we hope that someone can soon give them a loving furrever home.

Catzee said...

I like Mama Cat and Son but Rascal would get mad iffen they was here so I don't fink we can take 'em.

Tara said...

Oh, they are beautiful! I'd love to have them around, but Dad is one cat man. Best of luck with those two sweeties.

Tara

Anonymous said...

Benjy is really cute and sounds like lots of fun, and our Lady is totally in love with momma cat. the face, the fluff, the tail...no, no - we don't need 5 cats!